Each year on the 12th May, nurses around the globe celebrate nursing by holding a variety of events. International Nurses’ Day is aimed at recognising the incredible work that nurses do on a day-to-day basis, and the achievements in improving the lives of patients and families. The Royal College of Nursing (RCN) website has a number of downloadable resources, including posters, recipes and tips on how to organise your event.
Here are some of the events being held around the UK:
- University of Salford is holding a conference on Friday 11th May 2012. There are a number of high profile speakers, including Andrea Spyropoulos, President of the RCN, and Austin Thomas, Chief Nurse of the British Paralympics Team. Interactive workshops and networking opportunities are also available during the conference.
- Rotheram Doncaster and South Humber NHS Foundation Trust will be holding an event on Friday 11th May at St. John’s Hospice. They will be displaying vintage nursing uniforms and a timeline of the history of St. John’s Hospice.
- Nurses and patients at the Isle of Man’s Noble Hospital will be sharing their experiences of nursing care. The best stories will be published so the public can see them. Afternoon cakes for patients will be served with Nurses’ Day toppings!
- Leicestershire and Rutland branch of the RCN is holding two events on 12th May 2012 in Leicester, celebrating the area’s nurses and health care professionals.
- A service to celebrate the hard work and dedication of nursing staff in North Wales was held at the Bodelwyddan Marble Church on 8th May 2012.
- A number of other events are being held in many NHS Trusts accross the UK.
NHS Careers and the Florence Nightingale Foundation have produced a toolkit to help nurses and employers promote high-quality nursing care across the UK, as part of International Nurses’ Day. The toolkit, which contains ideas for events, templates for articles and events, and photography ideas, can be accessed here.
For more information please visit the following:
Nurses’ Day Facebook page.
Nurses’ Day Twitter account.
Royal College of Nursing Nurses’ Day Website.
The Florence Nightingale Foundation Website.